The Goodwill Design Challenge
Goodwill Industries-Knoxville is excited to announce the premier of the new Goodwill Design Challenge, in association with the 33rd Annual Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Designers competing in the Goodwill Design Challenge will receive professional photos of their work on the runway from Lance King Photography, tickets to the Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show, the chance to win prize packages and make connections with industry professionals.
Designers will create a runway look with a focus on repurposing goods. Competitors will have a 20 minute shopping spree at the Bearden Goodwill to gather materials for their garment, will design a unique and creative look, and will see their outfit walk down the runway at the Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show.
- July 23 – 11:59pm – Applications Due
- August 1 – 6:30pm – Designer Tour and Q&A with Goodwill Staff @ Bearden Goodwill (5307 Kingston Pike)
- August 1 – 7pm – Designer Shopping Spree @ Bearden Goodwill (5307 Kingston Pike)
- August – Designer Check-In
- September 14 – 5:30pm – Garment Complete and Fashion Show Rehearsal @ Bearden Goodwill (5307 Kingston Pike)
- September 21 – 7pm – Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show @ Holiday Inn at World’s Fair Park (525 Henley Street)
July 23 – 11:59pm – Applications Due
Anybody is welcome to apply to participate in the Goodwill Design Challenge. Participants under the age of 18 must have parental approval. All applications will be due by the end of the day on July 23; designers who have been selected to participate will be notified by July 28.
August 1 – 6:30pm – Designer Tour and Q&A with Goodwill Staff @ Bearden Goodwill (5307 Kingston Pike)
Goodwill Industries-Knoxville is a nonprofit organization committed to providing job training and employment services for individuals with barriers to employment in East Tennessee. Designers are invited to learn about Goodwill’s work during a personalized tour and conversation with Goodwill staff.
August 1 – 7pm – Designer Shopping Spree @ Bearden Goodwill (5307 Kingston Pike)
Immediately following the tour of Goodwill’s training facilities, designers will be given 20 minutes to shop for materials in the store. All garment materials must be found during this time with the exception of footwear and sewing essentials. Any unused items must be returned to Goodwill at the end of the contest.
August – Designer Check-In
All designers will need to check in with Goodwill staff during the month of August to ensure that progress is being made on the garments. Goodwill staff will schedule individual appointments with each designer.
September 14 – 5:30pm – Garment Complete and Fashion Show Rehearsal @ Bearden Goodwill (5307 Kingston Pike)
Designers are responsible for recruiting their own model to walk the runway in their design at the Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show. (Model diversity is encouraged: all shapes, sizes and ages welcome!) Both models and designers must attend the Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show rehearsal to discuss the details of event day and for models to learn the flow of the show. Garments must be completed and turned in at this time.
September 21 – 7pm – Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show @ Holiday Inn at World’s Fair Park (525 Henley Street)
Designers will receive a complementary ticket to the Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show and Sale to see their outfits walk down the runway. Attendance is expected to surpass 400 guests. Hair and makeup will be completed by a team of professionals. Model call time is 5pm.
Each look will be judged based on the following:
- Incorporation of repurposed materials from Goodwill Industries-Knoxville (minimum 90%)
- Level of complexity
- Attention to detail and finishing
- Functions for runway show (not inappropriately sheer or fragile, model can walk, not prone to “wardrobe malfunctions.”)
- Creativity (interpretation of theme, unexpected or nontraditional use of materials)
- Audience reaction (judged through votes)
Prize details coming soon!