One of the most important parts of preparing to go back to school is getting the backpack ready. With continually growing school supply lists, back to school shopping can be expensive and frustrating. Here are a few tips on how to cut down on the cost and make sure your children have all the things they need.
- Check your list. Your school or teacher has probably provided a list of what your child will need in the coming year. Check this out and see what you still have from last year and what you will need to purchase.
- Think about additional items they might need. Depending on the age of your child, they might need some extra items in their backpack like Band-Aids, gum or mints, extra hair ties, or a bag for dirty gym clothes.
- Practice packing their backpacks. If your child is young, make sure they are familiar with how to pack their backpack and where things are so they can do it independently at school.
- Think about what type of bag they need. If your child is older, they may not want to carry a backpack anymore; a large tote might be a good substitute.
- Check out Goodwill! Once you have a list of everything you think you need, come check out our binders, file folders, backpacks, wallets, and so much more. You will be able to find many of the items your child needs at a fraction of the cost.
- Pack layers. It's hot outside, but your child may be sitting next to the air conditioner in class. Find a neutral sweater and pack it in their bags for when the classroom gets chilly.
- Know the sales. There's always a color sale happening at Goodwill! Check for the color of the week when you walk in the door, and keep an eye out for items that are marked with the color. They will be 50% off! Beyond that, Goodwill runs special events regularly, such as our Half Off Everything sale August 5-6. Find all the details and more sales here.